Thursday, April 7, 2011

Love Dare- Day 6

Today's Dare-
"Choose today to react to tough circumstances in your marriage in loving ways instead of with irritation. Begin by making a list of areas where you need to add margin to your schedule. Then list any wrong motivations that you need to release from your life."


Well let me start off by saying that I took a few days off. I did this love dare on Saturday. I didn't mean to take a break, but life just "got in the way" I guess. I didn't have time to blog about it and before I knew it I was practically giving up. I lost my book, etc...Each and every one of you who is reading this and showing me support and praying for me is what has kept me going onto day 7,8,9, etc....

With that said, I want to be honest. I know I am only on day 6 but I thought there would be this HUGE miraculous change already when in fact this week has been hell.

Ok, enough about that. Today's dare. The areas of my life where I need to add margin to my schedule. Well, the only thing I can let go of and give my life a little more time is from FaceBook. So for the next week I will abstain from FB. Wow, I know. That's gonna be tuff. It takes up to much time from the boys, to much time from housework which means when the kids are in bed, instead of spending time with my husband I am doing housework. I stay up late to finish, I am exhausted the next day. It is a vicious circle.

My wrong motivations. I don't exactly understand this challenge. Call me dumb, I don't know.

I guess if I search my soul my wrong motivations would all be wrapped up in one thing. I do things because I want J.R.'s attention. I fight with him because I want him to notice me. I cry to him because I want him to hold me. Everything I do whether it is cook dinner, clean the house, get all the kids fed bathed and put in PJ's before he gets home from work so he can say, "Wow, good job" Everything is for him because I want him to look at me in love and think I am the most special woman in the world.

99% of the time he never notices. I dont feel like the most special woman in his life. In fact, most days I cant even tell if he loves me or not. I am doing all this wrong with the wrong motivation. I am doing it for a man who will always fail me (not because of who he is, because he is human and people always fail people)

I have a huge problem with attention and being accepted. I dont know where it comes from. Not the kinda of attention like, "Im gonna stick my boobs out and wear a mini skirt" but positive attention. I dont want to disappoint people and Im always afraid Im gonna do something wrong.

So this I need to release from my life. Weather J.R. and I stay married or not, I need to work on this for myself.

By the way, the beginning part of the dare, "to react to tough circumstances in your marriage in loving ways instead of with irritation" I did. This day 6 was on Reids first birthday party. J.R. kept getting annoyed, frustrated, stressed. Instead of flipping out on him I pulled him into the room. I told him that the kids wont remember that the house was clean (he always is tagging behind people cleaning up right after them) they wont remember that you couldn't find your BBQ spatula, they wont remember how hot it was. They will remember that their father was fun and laughed and interacted with them.

So, that was my reacting to a tough circumstance.

6 days down. 34 to go.

7 comments:

  1. I have to tell you that i have seen your blog a couple times now and i think you are an amazing mom and woman in general! The raw feelings you write with and put here for the world to see is something that im sure a lot of people feel but are afarid to show! I was almost in tears. Its like reading a really good book! Something you can relate to. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know if JR chilled out a bit after you lovingly took him aside, privately, and told him those things? Did he continue to be all annoyed, etc. or did he kinda chill out? Good job Amy! :) I'd have not been as calm and collected as you and would have wound up probably yelling at Jason if he was acting that way. This is a good example of how to deal w/ a spouse when they are bugging you the wrong way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your doing great, & like any other human being it is okay that you do not have the time to blog or fb about it everyday.. life gets busy & everyone understands that. you are trying hard, i give you much credit for that. you are inspiring to me too. love you keep it up! and as hard as it may be, try to do it with a good attitude, that way you know you tried your absolute hardest. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Amanda, thank you for your encouragement. Do I know you in real life? I cant see a profile pic, but I know a few Amandas.
    @Brynn, he calmed down for a few minutes. Thats when there are picture of him being spider man on FB. he tried really hard to change his attitude and have fun. It was short lived, but he did try!
    @Court- I love you. I am also ready for our reality TV show! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy you are so awesome! I love hearing about this journey...the real and honest version. It's refreshing to know we are not alone in out daily battles with our men. ADAM is the same way at parties and I may be too (just a tad)! I am so proud of you for sticking with this... praying for you everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your courage puts a smile on my face and also makes me want to slap myself for whining in less grueling situations. Keep it going, you may not see change yet, but God is working harder than even you are on yours AND JR's heart.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, keep it up! I think that whenever you begin to do something that pleases God, the devil tries to get in the way and discourage you so you'll quit. You're week from hell probably was exactly that...a week sent to you from the devil. But "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9. I'm praying for you.
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete