Monday, August 8, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten





I packed a lunch today. Not for a play date or a picnic at the park but because my first born was heading out to start school for the first time ever.
Unlike most kids, he didn't go to preschool. I did that with him at home. So today, August 8th, 2011 he officially became a first time student.
I couldn't sleep last night. I was tossing and turning and my nerves were through the roof. I kept thinking about the little things. Does he know what to do with his lunch stuff when he is done? How is he going to treat little girls? Is he going to be bullied? Will he use his manners and be respectful to the teacher? Will he need a nap? What if he gets thirsty? What if he gets a really bad tummy ache or falls of the playground? What if kids make fun of him?
Then I have to have faith in how we have raised him for the past 5 years. We have raised him to be kind to others. To say yes sir and no ma'am. We have taught him that its not ok to put your hands on someone. He knows to clean up his trash and always plays cautious. He is an outstanding, smart all around amazing kid.
It is time for me to let go.




For weeks now he has counted down the days till he started school. This morning I could tell how bad his nerves were setting in. He got shy and quiet. He stayed close to my side. When we got to the class I could tell he was over me taking pictures. He gave me one last good smile and then walked into his room and made his way to a table.
It was amazing how the boys and girls naturally separated themselves.
There was a boy standing behind him that was in tears the whole time. Poor guy. I am thankful Aiden is so independent.
As I was standing in the doorway watching him I signed "I love you" to him about 8 times. He never once signed it back to me. Instead his eyes got real big and he had a smirk on his face while nodding his head.
It sank in. He is officially embarrassed by his mother. And you know what? I will gladly embarass him on every single first day of school. I will always be there taking pictures and singing "I love you" From now until his senior year of college.



4 comments:

  1. omg..read through tears! Love that little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet. I never knew you had a blog. you are a great mommy! can't wait to hear how the first day went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg...Kaelyn starts on wednesday!! Where does the time go? So overwhelming, so exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i swear i commented earlier - it must have not gone through.

    Aiden looks so old... how sad, how bitter sweet. I love that pic of him in the classroom - what a stud. He's gonna be beating them off with a stick. What out mama!

    So happy for you. What a wonderful load off. That's so NICE I bet.

    ReplyDelete